Skip to content


Court can be confusing, especially if English is not your first language. An interpreter can help you understand information and participate in the court process.

If you need an interpreter please contact us and we will arrange one at no cost to you.

We do not usually allow a relative or friend to act as an interpreter at a hearing.

If you are a witness and need an interpreter, tell the person who asked you to come to court as soon as possible. It is their responsibility  to arrange an interpreter for you.

Court interpreters must be accredited and repeat the exact words spoken or signed by each person and cannot provide legal advice or give opinions.

If the court needs documents translated, you may also need to arrange and provide translations. See the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters website (NAATI) or Language Loop website to find an accredited translator.

Victoria Legal Aid has translated publications about different areas of the law. See the Victoria Legal Aid website for more information.

How do I contact a Children's Court?

Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS)

If you need an interpreter to contact a Children's Court, call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450.

Tell the TIS operator the phone number of the Children's Court you need to contact.

An interpreter will call the court and translate to make sure you understand the information you need.

National Relay Service (NRS)

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment and would like to contact a Children's Court, call the National Relay Service (NRS).  

TTY users: call 133 677, and give the phone number of the Children's Court you need to contact

Speak and listen users: call 1300 555 727, then give the Children's Court phone number.

See the NRS website for more information and contact options.