Skip to content

Court Documents and Recordings

Asking for audio recordings or court documents

Audio recordings

Most criminal, child protection and intervention order matters held in open court are recorded. Audio recordings are held for 12 months after the date of the hearing.

People directly involved in a case can apply for a copy of a recording. Examples are:

  • young person or their lawyer
  • parent or their lawyer
  • child protection practitioner
  • police member

How to ask for an audio recording

Fill in a request for copy of audio recording form and give or send it to the relevant Children’s Court where the hearing was held.

Each copy of an audio recording costs $55. You need to visit the relevant court in person to make the payment (by cash, cheque, money order or eftpos) or send your cheque or money order in the mail with your application.  If you are receiving Centrelink benefits and cannot afford the fee you should speak to the court registrar.

All applications for recordings will be considered by a magistrate or the President of the Children’s Court.

If the magistrate or President authorises a copy of the recording to be provided it might take up to 14 days for it to be made available after payment is received.

If a person who was not involved in the case wants to apply for an audio recording, they must submit their request with reasons and it will be considered by a magistrate or the President of the Children's Court.

Court files

How to view a document on a court file

Access to documents on a court file can only be provided if permitted by the Children’s Court President or a magistrate.

Inspecting the court register

If you are directly involved in a case

Parties to a case and their legal representatives can inspect that part of the court register that relates to their case.   

If you are not directly involved in a case

Non-parties can request permission to search the register for information on the final order in that proceeding. The request must be approved by the Children’s Court President or a magistrate.

Related pages

Media information

Application to access material

Media access protocol - Criminal Division