Going to court can be stressful. There are support and services to help families and children.
Koori Court officers
Our Koori Court officers support the Koori community in understanding and accessing the Children's Koori Court. They can:
- provide non-legal advice and support
- ensure judicial officers have access to information to support culturally appropriate outcomes
- assist with obtaining a Children's Koori Court date
Koori Court officers are at the following Children’s Court venues with a Children's Koori Court:
- Bairnsdale Magistrates’ Court
- Dandenong Magistrates' Court
- Geelong Magistrates’ Court
- Latrobe Valley Magistrates’ Court
- Melbourne Magistrates’ Court
- Mildura Magistrates’ Court
- Shepparton Magistrates’ Court
- Swan Hill Magistrates’ Court
- Warrnambool Magistrates’ Court
- Portland Magistrates’ Court
- Hamilton Magistrates’ Court
Koori officers at Marram-Ngala Ganbu
Marram-Ngala Ganbu (Koori Family Hearing Day) is held at Broadmeadows Children’s Court and will be held at Shepparton Children’s Court in 2021.
There is a Koori Services Coordinator who provides information and referrals to services for Koori children and their families. A Koori Family Support Officer provides support to families who are attending a hearing.
Koori Services Coordinator: Phone: 0427 319 041
Koori Family Support Officer: Phone: 0456 950 773
Koori Services Coordinator: Phone: 0438 029 935
Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service (VALS)
Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service (VALS) provides legal advice, information and other support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander persons.
Aboriginal Family Violence Legal Service (AFVLS) at Djirra
Djirra’s Aboriginal Family Violence Legal Service provides legal and non-legal support to Aboriginal people who are experiencing or have experienced family violence.
They also assist non-Aboriginal parents of Aboriginal children.
Contact Broadmeadows Koori Services Coordinator
0427 319 041